BFKC database.

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
May 17th, 2024, 2:10am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Login Login
Forum ring: BFKC   |   Klach D'kel Brakt   |   TF44 Klingons   |   Crazy Horse   |   TF86   |   Post counts

Bravo Fleet Klingon ConnectionNewsBFKC News
(Moderator Group: BFKC CO)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 15 Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

A little something I engineered. (Read 43517 times)
K`Hare `aj
YaBB Administrator
God of Engineering
BFKC CO
KDB PC
KDB Editor
TF86CO
Engineer
TF86 Senior Staff I
TF86 Senior Staff
A little something I engineered.
on: Nov 12th, 2005, 9:13am

Leerless Feeder

For the past few weeks I have been working on something in my spare time.  It is the reason I have been so the last couple of days.  I got it close to ready and spent my free time, the last few days, making it ready for testing.  Now it is.

For now, this is just installed on KDB.  I can put a copy on the Crazy Horse and/or meHHaj later.  I am putting the announcement here because the other ships should have a look at it.

There is a catch that wont make sense until you try it out.  The files it generates can be as much as 200K.  If I leave them around forever, this could quickly eat up my server space.  So I will delete the body of the text over time to save space.  I will likely delete all the files generated this week because you guys will go crazy with it.

For obvious reasons I'd like people to play with it before the next betleH tourney.  So have a look.   This is what you have to do:

1.  Update your KDB bio here:  http://kdb.batlh.com/cgi-bin/db/db.cgi?shipname=KDB

Simply find your bio entry, click the character pic on the right, enter your password and scroll to the bottom.  There are a bunch of new questions on the form.  Veterans of the betleH tourney will recognize them.  If you have attended a betleH tourney some questions may already have answers.  Rechoose each questions and pick from the list.  The first answer on a drop down is usally the value you have now.  Choose one from the lower on the list this one time.  Answer all the questions in the bottom of the form and save your bio.  Then go back to the KDB manifest.

2. Once you edit yourself go to the KDB crew manifest.  Scroll to the bottom and click the 'I want to spar.' button.

There is a simple form.  Pick your own character name from the list and enter your password, then submit the form.  This adds you to the list of people who will accept challenges.  If you get an error, if it say "Check your ..." then go back to your bio and edit yourself again.  Something isn't right with your bio.  If all else fails, send me a PM and I will check.  The most likely problem is that you have old values from the last tourney so rechoose your settings for every betleH question.  Also make sure your species is set to something and make sure your age is a number, not text.

3.  Now you should be ready to be challenged.  Use the left menu to choose the Halls of Kor Sparring Stage.

The header for this new area explains some stuff.  Any questions, post them back here.  The basics should be obvious.  Click the make challenge and challenge someone.    Read the list of challenges.  Check the open challenges and see if anyone has challenged you.  If you are challenged, you can click the info button and enter your password on the page you go to.  After you are returned to the top page, find that match and see who won.

As I said, post any questions here.  I wont answer specifics about the combat system but I will answer general ones.

P.S.  What did ness engineer this week?
K'Hare 'aj
CO of Klach D'kel Brakt Station
Beta Division CO, Bravofleet
[Bio]
WWW k_hare_bf kharebf IP Logged
qul`yIt
KDB PC
Re: A little something I engineered.
Reply #1 - on: Nov 12th, 2005, 3:57pm

Walker of Fire...
 Don't stand in my
way!

Won't work for me.  I just get the site you have the question mark pic saved on. lol
qul'yIt bu'naQ
Gunner
IKS Hegh'ta

qul'yIt's Bio
Email IP Logged
James Hunter
Human Editor
Reply #2 - on: Nov 12th, 2005, 4:50pm

Human. Don't mess.

Seems to work fine for me, though I'm not sure about the training being linked to what the form calls "age 13 thru 18-20." For Klingons that might be largely training, but most Humans would probably be at school falling asleep in physics. For my part, the "training" is basically "Hunter school blah ambition to be a pilot blah." Obviously the setup has to favour Klingons, but the seperation of training and teenage years, at least for aliens may be better.

That aside, it looks pretty cool, although it might be an idea to have the displayed fighter's pic link to their bio.
Lieutenant j.g. James Hunter
Starfleet Test Pilot
Klingon Fighter Project
[Bio]
Email WWW James Hunter 314443829 JamLiz746 IP Logged
Kral
BFKC CO
KDB PC
Reply #3 - on: Nov 12th, 2005, 6:35pm

batlh Daqawlu'taH

Worked good.  qul'yIt not likely to be real high on the score lol, due to how late he was in training.  But not going to have him as a Combatant in tourney anyways.
Kral HoD
Head of House of Mok
CO
IKS D'bloq

Bio
Email Kral honortarg1 batlhtargh IP Logged
roS`neQar
KDB PC
Reply #4 - on: Nov 12th, 2005, 6:36pm

Cut me and I will
bleed on you...

I am just kind of hanging out there waiting for others to accept now Smiley

A suggestion so that things don't drag is for the person challanged to be sent an email notification based on their forum info.

roS'neQar Ross McEwan Soghla'
Hegh'ta Crew
ya (Tactical )
>>>>> Bio <<<<<
Email webdba IP Logged
So`l_Mackenzie
KDB PC
Engineer
Reply #5 - on: Nov 12th, 2005, 7:00pm

When I go to edit my bio, the new questions are nowhere to be seen.
So'l Mackenzie ghojwI'
2nd Year Cadet
KDB
Email ross_taben GuttrMky IP Logged
K`Hare `aj
YaBB Administrator
God of Engineering
BFKC CO
KDB PC
KDB Editor
TF86CO
Engineer
TF86 Senior Staff I
TF86 Senior Staff
Reply #6 - on: Nov 12th, 2005, 8:51pm

Leerless Feeder

So'l:  Are you editing your bio on the KDB crew page?  Not the Hegh'ta page, the KDB one.

roS:  I can't send email based on the forum login because there is no tie between the forum and the bios.  I could try to add that but thats a big project.  I could send email based on the email address in the bio, are people could make a point to check the page or people could send PMs when they challenge.  I fully expect this will get 100 or 200 challenges the first week and it will slow down after that.  Eventually, I'd expect the challenges to be tied into game posts so you can just add a note in the scene saying:  "BTW, I challenged ta'pez to a duel for the last twinkie or whatever."

I know some things can be added and I will be changing the combat system.  One thought I had was to add the ability refuse a challenge... but I am not sure how to 'score' that.

I just answered my challenges and now I guess everyone knows its not rigged.  Hunter beat me!   I like how everyone is challenging me to first blood....
K'Hare 'aj
[Bio]
K`Hare `aj
YaBB Administrator
God of Engineering
BFKC CO
KDB PC
KDB Editor
TF86CO
Engineer
TF86 Senior Staff I
TF86 Senior Staff
Reply #7 - on: Nov 12th, 2005, 9:02pm

Leerless Feeder

Quote from James_Hunter on Nov 12th, 2005, 4:50pm:
Seems to work fine for me, though I'm not sure about the training being linked to what the form calls "age 13 thru 18-20." For Klingons that might be largely training, but most Humans would probably be at school falling asleep in physics. For my part, the "training" is basically "Hunter school blah ambition to be a pilot blah." Obviously the setup has to favour Klingons, but the seperation of training and teenage years, at least for aliens may be better.

That aside, it looks pretty cool, although it might be an idea to have the displayed fighter's pic link to their bio.

It does link the pics from the bio.   The avatar is the pic on the cover page.  The photo is the pic on the combat page.  The idea is people put a small 100x100 pic as their avatar URL and a big pic as there photo.  Eventually, I will make something where people can upload one photo and the program will do sizing.   Look at K'Hare's bio.  The pic on the bio is small.  That's the avatar pic.  Same one used for the crew manifest but on the manifest it forces it really small.  If you click on K'Hare's pic on the bio you get a much bigger pic.  Now that I think about it, the combat page might just use the avatar pic.  But as long as both your avatar pic and photo (big pic) are defined on the bio, the combat system will display your photo.  By default, the bio program puts a question mark as your photo and avatar now.

Training is linked to age 13-20 because when I first used the KDB bio program as the bio program for the betleH comp manifest I called the two fields the same thing.  I will make them seperate but I wanted to go ahead and put this online.
K'Hare 'aj
[Bio]
Kral
BFKC CO
KDB PC
Reply #8 - on: Nov 12th, 2005, 9:03pm

batlh Daqawlu'taH

There is a problem.  I only just tried the Sparring part and won't take my password for it.  Is there supposed to be a different pasword used?
Kral HoD
Head of House of Mok
CO
IKS D'bloq

Bio
James Hunter
Human Editor
Reply #9 - on: Nov 12th, 2005, 9:25pm

Human. Don't mess.

Quote from K`Hare totlh on Nov 12th, 2005, 8:51pm:
I just answered my challenges and now I guess everyone knows its not rigged. Hunter beat me! I like how everyone is challenging me to first blood....

James be nimble, James be quick...

Just one more question though. I draw your blood, then you disarm me, then I try for a third round and I get,
"Stop beating yourself up."  Roll Eyes

These Klingon mind games are more complicated than they appear...
Lieutenant j.g. James Hunter
Starfleet Test Pilot
Klingon Fighter Project
[Bio]
Email WWW James Hunter 314443829 JamLiz746 IP Logged
K`Hare `aj
YaBB Administrator
God of Engineering
BFKC CO
KDB PC
KDB Editor
TF86CO
Engineer
TF86 Senior Staff I
TF86 Senior Staff
Reply #10 - on: Nov 12th, 2005, 9:33pm

Leerless Feeder

The password that you use to save your bio on the KDB manifest should allow you to make a challenge or allow you to accept a challenge.

The stop beating yourself up message comes up when you challenge yourself.  You must have picked hunter for both.  If you are sure you didn't I can check the code and make sure there isn't a bug.

So just try challenging again.  Sadly, if you mistype your password or come back to the challenge page (or back up to it) it gets reset so you have to fill everything out again.  Unless your browser saves settings.

Also, it should list the matches in order of when the challenge was made... so I don't know why the two K'Hare Hunter matches reversed.  I will look into that later.
K'Hare 'aj
[Bio]
qul`yIt
KDB PC
Reply #11 - on: Nov 12th, 2005, 9:39pm

Walker of Fire...
 Don't stand in my
way!

doesn't work.  been using same password.  all it does is clear everything so have to chose character again.

(keep forgeting to change IDs)
qul'yIt bu'naQ
Gunner
IKS Hegh'ta

qul'yIt's Bio
Email IP Logged
K`Hare `aj
YaBB Administrator
God of Engineering
BFKC CO
KDB PC
KDB Editor
TF86CO
Engineer
TF86 Senior Staff I
TF86 Senior Staff
Reply #12 - on: Nov 12th, 2005, 10:12pm

Leerless Feeder

Who do you want to challenge?  I just grabbed your password from the server (everyone knows I can do that, right?  I haven't implemented encrypting them yet) and challenged me.  Your password worked.  Remember, it is case sensitive.  But it worked for me without a problem.

From reading the matches it should be obvious now.  You gain honor by giving away initiative and by stepping back when your opponent is tired.  So your honor setting (and dishonor) give you the chance to win honor but randomness is still in play.  In the most recent match with K'Hare you see Hunter was at a disadvantage from the start so he couldn't earn honor.   The most honor and glory are gained when the two fighters are closest in skill so each takes turns having the upper hand.
K'Hare 'aj
[Bio]
Kral
BFKC CO
KDB PC
Reply #13 - on: Nov 12th, 2005, 10:20pm

batlh Daqawlu'taH

Nope.  I put in right password two different ways.  One gave me Unauthorized message the other just refreshes the page.    Won't work for me
Kral HoD
Head of House of Mok
CO
IKS D'bloq

Bio
K`Hare `aj
YaBB Administrator
God of Engineering
BFKC CO
KDB PC
KDB Editor
TF86CO
Engineer
TF86 Senior Staff I
TF86 Senior Staff
Reply #14 - on: Nov 12th, 2005, 10:45pm

Leerless Feeder

I just figured out why Hunter's list at the bottom... it has to do with time zones and the definition of the epoch.   His machine is set to time in the future.  I will have to work on that... make it use server time instead of client time.  I will do that in the wee hours when no one is using it.
K'Hare 'aj
[Bio]

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 15 Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Bravo Fleet Klingon ConnectionNewsBFKC News
(Moderator Group: BFKC CO)
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Bravo Fleet Klingon Connection » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.