BFKC database.

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
May 17th, 2024, 5:50am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Login Login
Forum ring: BFKC   |   Klach D'kel Brakt   |   TF44 Klingons   |   Crazy Horse   |   TF86   |   Post counts

Bravo Fleet Klingon ConnectionWork on technology hereNew technology
(Moderators: qor, K`Hare `aj)
« No topic | Next topic »

Ings document (Read 2898 times)
K`Hare `aj
YaBB Administrator
God of Engineering
BFKC CO
KDB PC
KDB Editor
TF86CO
Engineer
TF86 Senior Staff I
TF86 Senior Staff
Ings document
on: Apr 14th, 2004, 6:05am

Leerless Feeder

I did read Ing's new tech document last week and I have some comments.  When I can find the time I will post his stuff here and add my comments.  If those other threads are what he wrote, I will comment there.  I haven't even found the time to read those threads yet.
K'Hare 'aj
CO of Klach D'kel Brakt Station
Beta Division CO, Bravofleet
[Bio]
WWW k_hare_bf kharebf IP Logged
bethal
KDB PC
Engineer
Re: Ings document
Reply #1 - on: Jun 16th, 2004, 6:05pm

Sexappeal with an
edge, klingon edge

i think he has some good ideas.
Cry Havoc and lets slip the dogs of war! - my granpa's favorite saying. Isn't it cute? Cheesy
IP Logged
Ness
God Member
Reply #2 - on: Oct 11th, 2005, 11:03pm

I am Ness.
 Fear Me.

First of all, I want to know where these dispersion crystals idea originated.

Continuing on that, are they natural crystals that are mined or are they synthetic?  How hard are they to produce?  I don't see this a a very Klingon device.  At first glance it seems like they'd go well with a Tholian ship.

Next pet peeve.  Cloaked torpedoes.  To ignore the fact that Trek isn't supposed to have money (well, we can just go with resources).  A Cloak is not a cheap worthless piece of equipment that can be tossed around lightly.  No intelligent person would waste a cloaking device on a single torpedo shot which may not even do any damage in the long run.

Ah yes....  Chang's torpedo was not cloaked.  And the reason most Klingon ships can not fire cloaked is power usage.  A weapons system requires power, but a cloak requires a LOT of power.  It has to bend light around a ship in so careful a fashion as to not be noticeable.  That's more power needs than a warp drive.

My hypothesis for firing cloaked: The warhead is already got its own power, so that's not the problem.  It's the launching and targeting.  Make the torpedo auto-target ships with a certain hull signature.  Very easy for a torpedo to identify the difference between a Federation hull and a Klingon hull for example.  Then, don't use a power launcher.  Use a chemically-launched weapon.  Something like gunpowder.  Once it is propelled out of the tube, torpedo's computer takes over.

Now I know what people will say: gunpowder doesn't blow up in a vacuum.
SIMPLE SOLUTION: Make the torpedo tube VERY smooth.  Make torpedo's hull very smooth.  Make torpedo exact width, height, and shape of torpedo tube.  Pump oxygen behind torpedo.  Ignite with a match, boom, you have a torpedo launch.  Mind you an electronic starter could ignite the system with no more power use than a AA battery, so an electronic ignition could be used.
Ness Sogh
Chief Operations Officer/meH'Haj Party Coordinator
ex-Second Officer
I.K.S. meH'Haj
[Bio]
Taj'vl ne'
Chief Helm Officer/Flam's Favorite Klingon
I.K.S. D'bloq
[Bio]
Email Ness 251155676 jakethomasness BFNessBaxter IP Logged
K`Hare `aj
YaBB Administrator
God of Engineering
BFKC CO
KDB PC
KDB Editor
TF86CO
Engineer
TF86 Senior Staff I
TF86 Senior Staff
Reply #3 - on: Oct 12th, 2005, 5:13am

Leerless Feeder

It's been over a year since I read it.  But I will try to answer your questions.

Quote from JakeNess on Oct 11th, 2005, 11:03pm:
First of all, I want to know where these dispersion crystals idea originated.

Continuing on that, are they natural crystals that are mined or are they synthetic? How hard are they to produce? I don't see this a a very Klingon device. At first glance it seems like they'd go well with a Tholian ship.

Ing knows something about science.  Your tone makes me think you have a reason for asking

They are synthetic.  They require significant resources to produce.  The honor of it could be argued either way.  Ing's honor however is clear.  Remember, he was new to trek in such detail when he did this document.  He was taking what he had seen on screen and trying to improve Klingon ships.  He wasn't trying to make tech for Trek, but specifically for KDB.  Someone creating a universe would probably give this defense to a different race.

Next pet peeve. Cloaked torpedoes. To ignore the fact that Trek isn't supposed to have money (well, we can just go with resources). A Cloak is not a cheap worthless piece of equipment that can be tossed around lightly. No intelligent person would waste a cloaking device on a single torpedo shot which may not even do any damage in the long run.

A tank is not cheap... why do we keep sending them into combat?

A cloaked torpedo from a cloaked ship would devistate a ship that was not on guard.  This is essentially a submarine shooting an underwater torpedo at a cruise ship.

There exists some sort of cloaked or low emission torpedo tech because there are spy probes.

My hypothesis for firing cloaked: The warhead is already got its own power, so that's not the problem. It's the launching and targeting. Make the torpedo auto-target ships with a certain hull signature. Very easy for a torpedo to identify the difference between a Federation hull and a Klingon hull for example. Then, don't use a power launcher. Use a chemically-launched weapon. Something like gunpowder. Once it is propelled out of the tube, torpedo's computer takes over.

Now I know what people will say: gunpowder doesn't blow up in a vacuum.
SIMPLE SOLUTION: Make the torpedo tube VERY smooth. Make torpedo's hull very smooth. Make torpedo exact width, height, and shape of torpedo tube. Pump oxygen behind torpedo. Ignite with a match, boom, you have a torpedo launch. Mind you an electronic starter could ignite the system with no more power use than a AA battery, so an electronic ignition could be used.

Firing cloaked is not allowed because it would be too powerful in the setting.  So the theory is photon launching takes power from the ship.  You can't generate the energy to create a temporary warp field around the torpedo with a chemical launch.  Not to mention the fact that it would negate your cloak.   And you make the gunpower explode but putting oxygen, in some form, in the mix.  Not by creating an atmosphere that would burn out your tube when you set the thing off.
K'Hare 'aj
CO of Klach D'kel Brakt Station
Beta Division CO, Bravofleet
[Bio]
WWW k_hare_bf kharebf IP Logged
Ness
God Member
Reply #4 - on: Oct 12th, 2005, 11:53pm

I am Ness.
 Fear Me.

I just was curious to see from where these crystals were derived that's all.  it's just so different from the Star Trek I am used to it surprised me.

the torpedo would not be warp propelled.  it would have a rudimentary impulse drive.  Gunpowder, oxygen, and a match is not going to destroy your torpedo tube.  We ARE talking about the duranium and tritanium age here.
Ness Sogh
Chief Operations Officer/meH'Haj Party Coordinator
ex-Second Officer
I.K.S. meH'Haj
[Bio]
Taj'vl ne'
Chief Helm Officer/Flam's Favorite Klingon
I.K.S. D'bloq
[Bio]
Email Ness 251155676 jakethomasness BFNessBaxter IP Logged
Ta`pez
meHHaj_Editor
BFKC CO
meH'Haj weH'wI
Hyphron_Editor
Reply #5 - on: Dec 9th, 2005, 5:00pm

cheng joH

the torpedo could be a long shot lance
Ta'pez 'ech
TFXO TF58
[Bio]
taH pagh taHbe' net SaHtaH
WWW tapez_mehhaj forcefedsleeper IP Logged

Bravo Fleet Klingon ConnectionWork on technology hereNew technology
(Moderators: qor, K`Hare `aj)
« No topic | Next topic »

Bravo Fleet Klingon Connection » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.